Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Back in Comission

Havent updated this in a while due to work, traveling, and being sick. The truth of the matter is that I havea job and it has limited my trading... I havent traded for almost a month due!!! Tried trading while in deal flow and I can't concentrate on two things that require high focus and attention at once. Anyways, I hope to be trading soon once again. Here are the last two trades that I have done since my post- tried to get a chart up but don't know how to get historicals on Think or Swim (yet).

UFI (10/17-10/21):

Got this one on a TimAlerts morning watchlist as a breakout-

  • Buy @ 4.89 (10/17)
  • Buy @ 4.78 (10/17)

I can't recall this one exactly but remember not trying to sell immediately when it showed some patience as in some of my previous trades I got scared out when it showed some negative price action. I had a last minute call to get out of town on business and set a stop loss at I think around $4.65 and see how it would ride from there. Given that this is not the smartest move, it worked out.

  • Sell @ $5.29 (10/21)

(Side note- trying to monitor and set stop losses from your phone is not a great idea. I learned that it is not worth the hassle and stress... if I am going to trade... I am going to trade... with these volatile stocks it can't be managed away from the computer."

OCNF

Don't remember the story on this one. Once again, from a TimAlerts morning watchlist. I think there were some better plays out there, but couldn't reserve anything.

Here is what I remember (considering it has been a month since I did the trade):

  • I had a tough time executing the trade. I had reserved, but when the price started to move like I wanted, I had to put the order in through the trade desk and lost some money having to get them online and then put it through the trade desk. Need to learn how to move quickly on the first trade for reserved shares- any thoughts on how to do this?
  • The spread between the bid and sell was higher than I have dealt with in the past and freaked out when the price would jump around. Stuck in the trade though.
  • Sell @ 8.01
  • Buy to Cover @ 7.63 (Just checked the price... @ 4.06- but take a small gain in these markets any time.

Looking back at my trades the one thing that is eluding me is patience and discipline. I hate trying to stomach things out when the trade isn't moving my way. In additiion, I always think I have to make a full trade within the day or the next day. Never shorted over a few days when the trade could have been more lucrative.


No comments: